Vegan Banana Ginger Double Chocolate Pancakes
So I'm starting to get settled in to my new apartment and I'm still getting used the new set up! There are definitely some challenges--namely the fact that the kitchen I'm working with is pretty small compared to what I'm used to, but that won't stop me from cooking up some delicious vegan food!
Today that means pancakes. Can every day be a pancakes-for-breakfast kind of day? That's the world I think I want to live in. Delicious fluffy stacks of deliciousness covered in syrup and vegan butter?? What a concept...
These indulgent pancakes are oil-free, whole wheat, nut-free and/or soy-free (depending on the non-dairy milk you use), and can be refined-sugar free with a simple substitution (or even omission). That said, they taste so sinful! Not only are there chocolate chips, but the batter itself is chocolate!
All chocolate everything.
This isn't the first pancake recipe I've posted. I have a recipe for vegan strawberry cream cheese pancakes I posted last month, but I wanted to make sure I had a pancake recipe on the blog that didn't use vegan cream cheese as I know that some people may not have access to it.
But do I really need a reason to want to post and eat more pancakes?? I think not.
What do you think? How do you feel about pancakes? Hopefully the idea of pancakes sparks positive associations because I really can't gush about these enough.
They are fluffy, gingery, chocolatey, sweet, and totally better than any I've eaten at a restaurant. Especially considering the fact that they are made a bit healthier too, these are a total WIN.
I think the ginger in them gives such a nice flavor profile, but my roommate isn't a fan of ginger so I've made these without it and they are still SO. GOOD. So if you are hesitant thinking, "hmm, I would try these if it wasn't for the ginger...." then try them anyway omitting the ginger!
I promise you'll love them.
These also freeze up well if you want to make a big batch and save some for later. All you have to do is microwave them for about 45 seconds to heat them through from frozen--practically an instant delicious breakfast!
Until next time. xx
Banana Ginger Double Chocolate Pancakes
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes Total time: 15 minutes | Yield: 8 - 10 medium pancakes
- Add all wet ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) until well incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, cooking for about 2 minutes on each side. I usually do a single test pancake to make sure the temperature of the skillet/griddle is appropriate. Pancakes should be golden brown after the 2 minute mark.
- Serve with maple syrup (or plain!) and enjoy!
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 large (160 g) ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar (can sub maple syrup for refined sugar free)
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dairy-free, fair trade chocolate chips (optional)