Vegan Lemon Blueberry Jam Muffins
You know what's kind of fun? Making jam. I suspect there will be quite a few more jam recipes that make their way on to this blog as I learn the science of jam making, but for this recipe, I relied on someone else's quick jam recipe (linked below) to make these gorgeous muffins.
I do have a few flavors in mind, so you might see those come to fruition in the near future, but until then we have these Lemon Blueberry Jam muffins.They just look like summer, don't they?
These muffins were born out of a desperate need for something sweet and sudden realization that I ran out of baking powder AND chocolate chips. What's a girl to do?? I needed my muffin fix quick, but I didn't want to leave the house. Well, I had a few lemons sitting around and a pint of blueberries that I had no other plans for, so ta-da!I suppose I could have opted for plain blueberry muffins, but these are much more exciting to me.
They are soo light! It's like eating a delicious cloud with just a hint of a smooth blueberry jam. This isn't one of those all-fruit, no-muffin muffins. That's not my style.
These are full of fluffy muffin goodness, and at just over 100 calories a piece I could easily eat four of these. Correction: I totally ate four of these when they came out of the oven.
What can I say? I have no self-control. But seriously who needs it with muffins like these? I say throw caution to the wind!
My favorite way to eat these muffins is topped with just a little bit of vegan butter. So. Good.
Vegan Lemon Blueberry Jam Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes | Yield: 10 - 12 Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line or slightly grease a standard muffin pan
- Prepare blueberry jam. This jam recipe is from this website where you can also find the directions on how to prepare it. This should take about 10 minutes. Alternatively, you could just mix in 1/2 cup blueberries straight into the mixed batter, but that's definitely less fun.
- Once the blueberry jam is thickened, place it in freezer to chill while you prepare the muffin batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- In a small bowl, add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, careful not to over mix.
- Fill muffin tins up halfway and then add a teaspoon or so of chilled blueberry jam.
- Cover jam with more batter until liners are 3/4 of the way full. Yields 10-12 depending on how much you fill up liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Top with a pat of vegan butter (optional) for a melt-in-your-mouth muffin experience. Enjoy!
Blueberry Jam (See Notes)
- 2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water (mixed into a slurry)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk**
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon zest (from two small lemons)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (can sub all purpose)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blueberry jam recipe yields quite a bit of extra jam, but is that really a bad thing?
- I used Thai Kitchen Lite Coconut Milk in the muffins pictured and to calculate the nutrition information, but 1 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk + 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar would probably yield even FLUFFIER muffins! If using this vegan "buttermilk" replacement, make sure to prepare this add let it sit for about 5 minutes until you add it to the wet ingredients.