Vegan Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookie Sandwiches
Okay. OKAY. I know a lot of the recipes on the blog so far contain chocolate chips. I get it. Really, I do! But I'm obsessed with chocolate, what can I say. Plus, this recipe has marshmallows, so it's completely different.
Look at these ooey, gooey delicious sandwiches. I wish I could virtually share one with you. They are super yummy, and soo cute. Even if you don't really like marshmallows, the cookies alone are worth it.
I won't lie and say these marshmallow sandwiches are healthy, BUT they definitely could be worse. These are whole-grain AND oil-free, so as far as treats go, this is a pretty good one to indulge in!
I'm really excited to share this recipe with you guys because I finally got these cookies to have crispy edges. I've yet to find an oil-free cookie with crispy edges, so I added a bit of cornstarch to see if it would help, and it did! The crispness of the cookie adds a really nice texture to complement the soft, pillowy texture of the marshmallow filling.
Don't take my word for it though. Try them out yourself so you can taste what I'm talking about.
And don't forget to thank me later. (:
Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookie Sandwiches (Vegan)
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total time: 25 minutes| Yield: 7-8 sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- In the same bowl, add flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make sure you add flour first. Stir until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 tablespoons) to place cookie dough on lined baking sheet. If you don't have a cookie scoop, you can use a heaping tablespoon. Place cookies about two inches apart as these cookies will spread quite a bit.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Let cool 2 minutes and either enjoy as is or flip them over to use for sandwiches.
For Marshmallow filling:
- Microwave two jumbo marshmallows (approximately 10 regular marshmallows) for about 20 seconds. Make sure you use a bowl that is considerably bigger than the marshmallows as they will expand when heated.
- Remove from microwave and stir the marshmallows which should now be more like a fluff. You need to work quickly as the fluff is super sticky and will harden up fast!
- Spoon the marshmallow mixture onto the bottom of one cookie. Top with another cookie and press down to form a sandwich
- Repeat steps 1-3 for remaining sandwiches. Enjoy! Pro tip: When I have friends over and I make these, I let everyone do their own marshmallow filling! It takes like thirty seconds and ensures that the filling will still be warm and gooey when they eat it. You can do it ahead of time, but the marshmallow filling will harden a little bit, and that's more work for you. Just saying.
- 3/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dairy-free (fair trade chocolate chips (I used PASCHA Organic Dark Chocolate Chips))
- 16 Jumbo Vegan Marshmallows (I used Dandies)