One-Pot Vegan Sweet Potato Chili
I don't know about you, but I could eat chili everyday.
It is so comforting and really easy to put together. All you really need to do is chop up some veggies, throw them in a pot with some spices, and totally forget about it for like 45 minutes. And 45 minutes is just enough time to watch an entire episode of Big Brother if you fast forward through the commercials. (If you watch Big Brother, let me know in the comments who your favorite player is in the game right now! Mine is definitely Paul. Loved him last season. Love him still.)
Oh, chili? Is that what we were talking about? Right.
Well this chili is FULL of bold flavors and just PACKED with nutrients. This is an excellent source of plant-based protein at 15.3 grams protein per serving (1/6th of the recipe) and 15.2 grams fiber which is over half of the daily recommended intake!! One serving also covers the recommend daily vitamin A intake many times over due to the sweet potatoes, and there is less than 1 g of saturated fat.
That's some quality fuel for your body.
I adapted this chili from my dad's recipe which I loved as a child. The original recipe is good, but I of course needed to veganize it, and I think it turned out even better! Win-win! Another thing I love about this recipe it helps me empty the fridge and pantry! Only have black beans? Use them! If you only have a red bell pepper, you can use that in place of green. It's pretty flexible.
Follow me @sippingonsoy on Instagram to stay up to date with the blog happenings!
One-Pot Sweet Potato Chili (Vegan, GF, Oil-Free)
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes Total time: 1 hour
- Add chopped sweet potatoes, bell pepper, onion, and garlic to a large pot and water sauté over medium-high heat (see notes) until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, decrease the temperature to medium heat, cover with a lid and let it simmer for 45 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork-tender.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread and enjoy!
- 3 small sweet potatoes, chopped (560 g)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (160 g)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (organic cane sugar will also work)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce of choice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Iodized salt to taste (add this to each bowl as needed)
- optional garnish: green onions
- Water or Oil Sauté: I occasionally sauté in water to avoid cooking with excess oil. Essentially you just need to add a splash of water to your pan with the vegetables over medium-high heat and let it cook down. If your veggies dry out, just add a bit more water until they are softened. Alternatively, if you don't mind cooking with oil you can sauté veggies in a little bit of oil until onions are translucent.