Roasted Butternut Squash & Corn Soup (w/Jalapeno-Cilantro Cashew Cream)
It's been about a week since my last post and I miss sharing recipes with you guys! As some of you may know, I try to post recipes every five days, but sometimes life gets in the way. Recipes don't work out as planned, I don't have time for a grocery run, or I my photos don't come out well and I don't want to share anything with you guys that I'm not proud of! That wouldn't be fair to you guys.
But I've landed on a recipe I think is a winner.
Roasted butternut squash & corn soup.
Isn't butternut squash so pretty?
The flavors in the soup are deep, comforting, and oh-so delicious!
My problem with most butternut squash soup recipes is their lack of texture. While I do love a creamy soup, I want to it to have at least a tiny bit of bite, you know?
Well my friends, this soup totally delivers on that front. AND the soup itself is only 9-ingredients. The cashew cream ands a few more ingredients, but you just blend those ingredients together and you are DONE. Plus the cream is optional as the soup is already luscious and creamy in it's own right, but boy is the Jalapeño-cilantro cream tasty!
I bet it would also be really good with basil. If any of you try it that way, let me know. I'd love to hear how it turns out.
Please leave me a comment & rate this recipe if you try just the way it is too! And tag me in a picture on Instagram or Twitter @sippingonsoy so I can see what you guys make. I love seeing your pictures! It absolutely makes my day.
If you want to keep up with me and new recipe updates be sure to follow me on any or all of my social media platforms (links in the sidebar) and subscribe to the blog.
Until next time, lovelies!
Roasted Butternut Squash & Corn Soup (w/ Jalapeno-Cilantro Cream)
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
- Add cashews to some water and soak for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place cubed butternut squash and sliced garlic on a baking sheet. (I used however much of my squash would fit onto my 15x10 pan in a single layer.)
- Lightly brush the tops with oil and sprinkle on a bit of black pepper. You can omit oil and just brush with a bit of veggie broth or water for moisture.
- Roast squash for 40 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Once squash is done, add it to a blender with the veggie broth and nutritional yeast (if using) and blend until smooth. If you need to you can do this in batches.
- Pour blended mixture in a large pot and add you non-dairy milk, cajun seasoning and corn. Stir until combined, bring soup to a light boil and cook until corn is warmed about five minutes.
- Meanwhile add all the ingredients for the jalapeño cilantro cream into a blender and blend until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Garnish with cayenne pepper, cilantro, and/or jalapeño-cilantro cream and enjoy! Best served warm.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 small butternut squash (peeled & cubed )
- 4 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1 teaspoons olive oil ((optional))
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast ((optional))
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels (can use fresh)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk ((I used soy))
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 jalapeno (de-stemmed, deseeded, chopped)
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (can substitute water)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (loosely packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon iodized salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper