Vegan Chocolate Chip Lime Bread
This Chocolate Chip Lime Bread combines three of my favorite things. Chocolate chips, Quick Breads, and Limes. Could it get any more perfect?? I hardly think so.
It's super moist from the yogurt.
It's tangy from the lime.
Indulgent from the chocolate.
and it's 100% vegan.
There's no way I could stop after just one slice! I know, I know. Some of you are probably thinking, "Citrus and chocolate?? The only time I've seen a combo like that is chocolate and oranges!" But I urge you to set aside your preconceived notions and give this recipe a try! This bread is GOOD. Like... picky family member good.
And it freezes beautifully. Just let it cool, slice it up, and store individually wrapped slices in the freezer to warm up for a weekday breakfast (if it lasts that long).
If you are looking for a good dairy-free chocolate this is the one I used. Now get baking!
Chocolate Chip Lime Bread (Vegan, Oil-Free Option)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper (or lightly grease the pan if not oil-free).
- Combine all the wet ingredients in large bowl and whisk until everything is incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together a few times until just incorporated. A few lumps is okay! You just want to be careful not to over mix or the bread will be tough.
- Add chocolate chips and mix a few times to incorporate. (Alternatively, you can just add the chocolate chips on top or omit entirely, but mixing them throughout the loaf offers chocolaty goodness in every bite! Also, feel free to add more to your liking.)
- Scrape the batter (it will be thick) into your loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes or until you can insert and knife and it comes out relatively clean.
- Let it cool, cut it into slices, and enjoy!
- 1/2 cup plain non-dairy yogurt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (6 tablespoons) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup canola oil (sub more yogurt for oil-free)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lime zest (from about two small limes)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour (I used half All-Purpose and half White Whole Wheat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon iodized salt
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips)
- Freezing: This recipe freezes beautifully, so I will often make a loaf on the weekend and freeze individual slices. Then, during the week I can grab a slice (or two!) and microwave it for about 30 seconds for a quick and delicious, healthy breakfast treat!