Vegan Maple Pumpkin Cornbread
This vegan cornbread is fluffy, whole-grain, and lightly spiced! Sweetened with maple syrup this recipe contains no refined sugar or flour, and is the perfect fall side!
Hello, friends! My real life has been crazy, but cooking, baking, and taking food photos is my happy place so I'm glad I have something new to share with you all. Especially something a yummy as maple pumpkin cornbread!
I've posted a recipe for zucchini basil cornbread on the blog (this recipe is actually adapted from that one!), but I wanted a more season appropriate recipe. I needed a cornbread that would make the perfect side at Christmas dinner, and this is that recipe.
It's so easy to put together. Mix the dry, mix in the wet, and bake! This can be on the counter in just about 30 minutes!
Oh! Something interesting I just bought is the half whisk in the prep shot above. It's actually super neat because nothing gets caught in the middle because... well... there is no middle!
Any who, back to the matter at hand. This maple pumpkin cornbread is so fluffy and soft! Topped with a bit of vegan butter...
and maple syrup...
It almost melts in your mouth.
If you are partial to nuts, chopped pecans are a lovely addition, I'm told. I don't usually like eating nuts, but many people in my family do and I love to please!
I mean LOOK at that texture. Oh mama.
A note on oil: Up to this point, I've posted mostly oil free recipes, because I used to eat primarily oil-free, but my diet has since evolved so I thought I'd let you guys know. I have a more balanced approach to oil now as there is no scientifically backed reason to completely cut oil from your diet. I still think it should be consumed in moderation, but moderation doesn't quite need to equal elimination.
That's all for now! Also tag me on Instagram using the hashtag #sippingonsoy if you like the recipe! Until next time. xx
Vegan Maple Pumpkin Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit & line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper (or lightly grease).
- Prepare flax egg by whisking ground flax seed and water together. Set aside.
- Mix non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients. This includes the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon (if using).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture. This includes the maple syrup, oil, non-dairy milk mixture, flax egg, and pumpkin puree.
- Pour this mixture into your 9x9 and spread into an even layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top in lightly browned and cornbread is cooked through.
- Top with additional maple syrup, vegan butter, and chopped pecans if desired and enjoy!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon iodized salt
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I prefer soy)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 2 tbsp water)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- chopped pecans (optional garnish)