Vegan Zucchini Basil Skillet Cornbread
Sometimes I just crave skillet cornbread. Usually I'll just make it plain and sweet like my mama used to make, but today I thought I'd try something new. Zucchini Basil Skillet Cornbread.
I've been testing some zucchini bread recipes that I am excited to share with you guys (eventually), so I had some extra zucchini and thought... why not? Plus, I'll put fresh herbs in ANYTHING. You can never go wrong with herbs.
I'll be honest, I was hesitant about how this would turn out, but I am happy to report that this is my new favorite cornbread recipe! You can't taste the zucchini at all, but you know it's in there just being nutritious and keeping the bread moist.
Plus, I think the little specks of green are just so cute! Is that just me? Yeah? Okay. That's cool I'll just be enjoying my green-speckled cornbread in my own special corner. Don't mind me.
This cornbread would pair so well with a plant-based chili. It's not overwhelmingly sweet, just sweet enough to complement the flavors of a hearty stew. Definitely a must-try!
For serving, I topped my slice of skillet cornbread with a smear of blueberry jam for an extra little bit of sweetness and it's amazing! A little vegan butter on the top would probably also be a super yummy addition! Or just straight out of the oven with no add-ons. Still delicious.
Zucchini Basil Skillet Cornbread (Vegan)
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 40 minutes | Yield: 8 Slices
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cast-iron skillet and place in oven to pre-heat. If not using a cast iron skillet, no need to pre-heat the pan.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a medium/large bowl. Whisk until combine.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl. Mix together until there are no spots of dry flour.
- Remove skillet from the oven (carefully, it's obviously hot!) and pour the batter in. Spread around in necessary to make an even layer.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Enjoy! My favorite way to eat this is with a little bit (or a lot) of blueberry jam slathered on top.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil (can sub all applesauce for oil-free, but texture will suffer)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Adpated from All Recipes.